Evelyn Grace Ward was born February 14, 2010 at 11:35 a.m. She weighed 7 pounds, 15 ounces and was 21 inches long. She arrived 2 days before her due date, which is a story near and dear to my heart.
Michael and I found out on September 16th last year that we were having a baby girl. I made the obligatory announcement on Facebook and enjoyed the many messages of congratulations. One person in particular couldn't contain his excitement. My dad, 8 days before he unexpectedly passed away, left me the following message:
I remember reading that message. I said then and said many times throughout my pregnancy that I did not want to have our baby on Valentine's Day. I didn't want her birthday to fall on a holiday. Silly me.
I woke up on Sunday morning at 6:50 a.m. At 6:51 I was calling Michael from the bathroom, trying to wake him up to let him know that my water broke. I was all smiles, not only because labor had started and I knew we would be meeting our little girl soon, but also because my dad's wish was coming true. It was poetic. I couldn't have planned it more perfectly myself.
While Michael and I waited for the doctor to call us back, we sat on the couch and squeezed in a few Valentine's Day snuggles. We laughed when we realized we would not be using our tickets to see Valentine's Day (the movie) at 2:00 that afternoon. We had purchased the tickets the night before.
Once again, against all of my planning, I found myself being wheeled off to the operating room for a C-section at 11:05 a.m. Michael stayed by my side and peeked over the curtain to watch Evelyn take her first breaths. I couldn't see anything but I could hear her cry. It seemed like hours went by while I waited to meet her. Finally, Michael brought her to me. I'll always remember the first time I saw her. She was so little! I couldn't believe I was finally seeing the little person who had been rolling around in my belly for 9 months. She was beautiful. My arms were tied down so I couldn't hold her or touch her, but Michael put her up to my face so I could give her kisses. It was too incredible for words.
We stayed in the hospital until Wednesday. Our first two weeks at home (at Nana's house) have been just as challenging and wonderful as everyone warned. It gets a little easier as we get to know Evie and learn how to care for her. I'm proud that Michael and I have jumped in with both feet. Thankfully, Mom has been there to help us every step of the way. We're diapering and swaddling experts now! I'm getting a little better at living on 2-3 hour naps and feeding her around the clock. I love to watch her and listen to her little coos. She smells like a sweet little baby and her skin is softer than anything I've ever felt. All of these little things are new and so precious to me. I have proudly turned into a sappy mommy.
Evie was named after her Great Great Grandmother, Mama (Evelyn) Metcalf, who will be 101 years old in April. Grace is also a family name on my dad's side of the family and Michael's side of the family.
We are loving every moment with Evie. Thank you, Lord, for this blessing!









No comments:
Post a Comment