February 05, 2010

The Final Stretch

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and my head and heart are swimming with emotions!

Here is my fantasy:

Our house is done. The nursery is put together with all of the finishing touches. Everything for baby has been purchased and assembled and is now waiting for her arrival. My to-do list is completely crossed off. I'm filling these last days with rest and savoring every moment of being pregnant. Michael and I are going on a date every night and whispering sweet nothings to each other as we daydream about what life will be like with a baby. We'll be taking her home to a perfect house with a brand new mailbox adorned with a pink bow.

Here is my reality:

Our house is SEVERAL weeks away from being finished. The nursery, despite our best efforts, is covered in construction dust along with the rest of the house. We still have so much to do and so much to buy. I'm filling these last days trying to shorten my to-do list and hoping this baby comes at that exact moment between "too soon" and "too late." Michael is so busy with work and renovations and trying to juggle it all while wearing a walking boot as his torn ligament heals. Oh, and...what mailbox? What bow?

I've had to change my Plan of Perfection. This is the way life goes, I know. We're preparing to bring baby home to Mom's new house in Auburn. Mom loves her new house and I'll have the best help in the world in those first few weeks of the unknown. So this is good! I couldn't ask for a sweeter, more helpful mom. She will be the best Nana.

The house really is coming along and shaping up. Slowly, but surely. Cabinets have been installed and granite countertops will go in this week. The shower has been tiled and looks amazing. The walls have been primed. There are a lot of little things left to do. Most importantly, we will have people come in to remove all construction dust from the house and HVAC. I know this patience I have so reluctantly found will pay off in the end.

I'm going to the doctor on a weekly basis now and things seem to be progressing. It's exciting and so scary! For 38 weeks I'm doing pretty well, physically. I can get around within reason and I haven't had any painful contractions. Considering the fact that I am offically walking around with a "watermelon" in my belly, that's pretty good to me. The baby moves around so much, I love it! It doesn't feel like kicking anymore, it's like she's rolling around. I can feel smaller limbs (probably legs and feet, since she is head down) rolling across the top of my stomach. It never ceases to entertain me. I munch on Tums and ice like never before, but I can deal with that. It's harder to sleep at night but I've been told this is good training for the lack of sleep to come! I really am savoring these last days of One Body: Party of Two. It's pretty amazing.

I don't have anything scheduled. Unless something changes, this labor will be on baby's clock. I really prefer it that way. I'm sure I'll change my tune if she seems to be taking up camp at 42 weeks, but until then I will patiently wait for her to make her way. I'll do everything I can to feel ready for her arrival, but I know all of these details will matter no more when I'm holding her in my arms.

No comments: