Evie's 1st time in her (unfinished) nursery
- When they say breastfeeding is hard, they aren't lying. It's hard. I didn't truly understand that it's a full-time, 24 hour job. My days and nights revolve around Evie's tummy. Thankfully, I'm hard-headed. I refuse to quit and we both reap the rewards.
- When they say you'll be sleep deprived, they aren't kidding. They say "sleep when the baby sleeps." What this amounts to is a daily cycle of 1 or 2-hour naps. That's a shock to someone like me who has always loved to sleep. Fortunately, I find myself running on love-adrenaline. It kicks in when I'm watching Evie make sweet and funny faces, when I smell her baby smell, when she holds my finger with her little hand. I'll trade in my sleep for that.
- The baby blues will reduce you to a weepy mess. I spent the first week at home looking at Evie through tears. I'd hold her, give her kisses, watch her sleep and my heart would fill to the brim. I would also wonder if I was adequate and if I could be the mother she deserves. Those feelings were intense and almost paralyzing. Hello, hormones!
- Your baby becomes a part of you. Really, we're attached at the hip. When she's not in my arms or very close to me, I feel like something is missing. I feel uneasy. When Evie was almost 3 weeks old, Mom stayed with Evie while Michael and I went out for our first date night. I enjoyed spending time with Michael, but I was a nervous wreck. He understood and asked for the check right after our food was served. This probably sounds crazy to anyone who hasn't been there.
- Multi-tasking becomes the new way of life. This one-handed juggling act is an acquired skill, but I'm slowly learning how to take care of myself in those little windows of opportunity. Make-up, blowdryers, manicures and pedicures have fallen by the wayside along with most of my vanity, but I can now manage to eat a meal and take a shower every once in a while. Bonus points!
- Babies are messy. Duh, right? Sometimes I'm covered in spit-up, poop, pee. Sometimes I'm wiping away eye gook or snot. I'm amazed at how none of this grosses me out. If it comes out of my baby, it's not nasty.
- It gets easier. Once again, that's something everyone tells you. It gets easier. And it does. The hormones quit their raging. Every week I feel less panicked and more confident. I feel like I know what I'm doing.
- The love for your child is instant, powerful, unconditional and infinite. Really, those are just words that do it no justice. I knew I would love Evie, of course, but wow...I had no idea. Every pitiful cry with the pouty bottom lip breaks my heart. Every smile, laugh, hiccup, cough, sneeze and coo melts my heart. My poor heart. It had no idea what a little baby would do to it.


2 comments:
Spoken quite well Ashley! I never thought I could love someone so much that made me so utterly exhausted! I constantly had to remind myself that billions of other women went through it and came out just fine (and so did their kids)! You are a wonderful Mommy and Evie is so lucky!
You said that beautifully. Enjoy your journey in motherhood.
Post a Comment