March 13, 2010

Thirty

Michael is 30 years old! On March 9th we met friends and family at Provinos to celebrate. Some of them met Evie for the first time. It was a fun, nerve-wracking night for me. It's good for me to get out of the house and interact with adults. However, I'm still a little bit on edge when we leave home. I think most of it has to do with nursing and being out of my comfort zone, but I have come a long way from the beginning. I can see that it will keep getting easier.

Since I don't get out much these days and most of our spending money disappears into the black hole of house renovations, the only thing I had to give Michael was a birthday card. Doesn't sound like much, does it? Well, this wasn't any ordinary birthday card. Evie and I made our first trip out alone to get this card. It went like this:
  • Rain was on its way. Again. We had to jump in the car while the skies were clear.
  • It was almost time for Evie to eat. Again. This is dangerous territory.
  • New Mom vs. Carseat. Enough said.
  • I had to pick out a meaningful card before the "FEED ME NOW" screams. Those screams don't bother me at home, but I have not mastered the Cool, Calm, Collected Mommy in Public persona.
  • I did not beat the screams and Evie was not digging the CVS grocery cart ride. I guess it didn't have the same hum of the car.
  • After collecting ourselves back at home, I had to find time to sign the card. I found the time and wrote a book. This is a huge accomplishment in my new life.
  • I had to help Evie sign the card. This involves non-toxic ink and a baby hand. Baby hands have this oh so cute but non-handprint friendly grasping reflex.
This was the most effort I've ever put into a card and I was proud of the result. Michael loved it.

Provinos was the perfect place to celebrate Michael's big birthday. It wasn't the 3-0 throwdown we envisioned last year before the reality of life with a baby sunk in, but it was a perfect evening for this family of three. Provinos salad (a frequent 3rd trimester craving), ravioli, the Venetian and chocolate mousse made mom and dad very happy. Evie opted for a bottle of milk but it wasn't enough to satisfy her appetite. She decided to share this catastrophe with the entire restaurant. Thankfully, the car ride home was enough to make things right again.



Happy Birthday, Michael. You are a very loved husband and daddy.

No comments: