When Evie was 5 weeks old she went on her first trip away from home. We drove to Slocomb, Alabama to see Mema and Mama Metcalf. Both of them loved Evie to pieces.
Evelyn Metcalf, known to most people as Mama Metcalf, is a very special lady and Evie's great great grandmother. She will be 101 years old on April 22, 2010. She can still tell you stories about growing up in southern Alabama a century ago. Isn't that amazing? She remembers the first time she saw an airplane. She remembers people talking about the sinking of Titanic. She remembers illnesses, hard work, the Depression, horse drawn buggies and 5 cent haircuts. I bet she never thought she would hold her great great grandchild in the year 2010.

5 Generations

Evie got lots of lovin' that weekend. I know she won't remember the moment she was held by those beautiful 100 year old hands, but I always will.




2 comments:
What a legacy to leave! This just touched my heart! Not many are as lucky as Evie to meet her great great grandmother!
That brings tears to my eyes. What a wonderful gift for both of them.
Post a Comment