January 08, 2010

Holiday Recap

We had a Babymoon! On December 10th we flew to NYC to take advantage of this last bit of child-free, hop-on-a-plane-on-a-whim lifestyle. Shelley & Chuck met us there and we spent 4 days taking in the sights and lights of the City. This was my 3rd visit, but NYC has an extra twinkle in December and I've always wanted to see it. We ate dinner at Tavern on the Green, saw the Rockettes, went to the top of the Empire State Building and walked all over the City. It was great, but it wasn't easy. The temperatures were bitter cold and I felt every bit of 30 weeks pregnant. Swollen feet, stuffy nose. I waddled up and down the streets in between cab rides. It was worth it!



On December 17th we drove to Arkansas to have our annual Freeman Family Christmas and to celebrate my grandparents' 65th wedding anniversary. It was bittersweet. I loved every moment spent with Granny, Grandpa, aunts (who threw me a surprise baby shower!), uncles and cousins, but we were all aware that someone was missing. My dad. He was missed.

On December 24th we drove down to Slocomb to spend the night with Mema (my grandmother), Mama Metcalf (my 100 year old great grandmother), Mom, uncle Scott, aunt Michelle and sweet little cousins Jordan & Chloe. Christmas is even greater when there are little ones around. I watched the girls enjoy their gifts from Santa with little glimpses into my future.

On December 28th we packed up essentials and temporarily moved out of our house. Renovations were underway. We have been staying away from home (mostly with Mom) for 11 days. It feels like an eternity, partly due to the fact that I am 34 weeks pregnant and roughly 39 days away from being full term. Living out of a suitcase and watching your house being torn apart is a little difficult when you feel like you should be decorating a nursery and preparing a home for the arrival of a baby. All I can do is breathe deeply and pray that Baby Girl doesn't decide to make her entrance too early. In these past 11 days, however, walls were knocked down, the framing was finished, the re-wiring was finished, the plumbing was finished, the new roof was finished, and everything is starting to vaguely resemble a bigger, better, newer house. They will hang drywall and brick the additions next week. Maybe we CAN get this done in time. I'm holding out hope!

We wimped out on a New Years Eve party. Too sleepy, too worn out. Michael is overseeing the work at our house in addition to his many other jobs in Auburn, Louisiana, Georgia and Mississippi. Poor guy.

Our best moments of 2009 included the surprise news of a baby and our trips around the U.S., but I'm looking forward to a fresh, clean start in 2010. Our hearts and our arms will be full with the arrival of our baby. The next Life Chapter will begin and there will be no room for negative thoughts and negative people. And that's all I have to say about that!



No comments: