My Mother's Day flowers from Evie & Michael
Sometimes it feels pretty trippy that I'm actually somebody's mom now. I mean, really? Me?! I always thought I'd have children "someday," I just can't believe that day is here. I knew I was pregnant for 8 months. Eight looong and often difficult months. I had plenty of time to realize that yes, a baby would soon enter and alter life as we know it. But it feels like everything flashed forward and suddenly a little, pink wrinkly newborn was delivered at our door (by a stork, perhaps?). Then I look at her face...oh yes, she surely belongs to Michael. And then I remember my big pregnant belly...oh yes, she surely belongs to me.
I had a very special first Mother's Day weekend with lots of grandmothers, flowers, cards, presents, big family lunches. It was wonderful to receive so much love and appreciation from Michael, Evie and everyone else, but I really spent the day in awe of my daughter and my love for her. Everything in my life has new meaning and new purpose because of her.
Yesterday I turned 29 years old. On the 17th we will celebrate 7 years of marriage. Yes, May is a big month for me. I'm showered with gifts and well wishes over the course of a few days. But what I really get from these occasions is the realization of how thankful I am for my family, my husband and my baby. It's like my mid-year Thanksgiving holiday. Great are God's gifts!
Mother's Day 2010, 12 weeks old




No comments:
Post a Comment