I wish I could breeze through this pregnancy without any of the aches, pains, bumps or bruises that are so ominously detailed in the books. Not realistic! I'm now going back to read those parts that I was so sure would not apply to me.
My surgery was in a league of its own. There aren't many tips or tricks on how to deal with major surgery in your 2nd trimester. I got through it though, with a lot of help and a lot of mental pain management. I figured I had put in my time of pain and suffering and that anything else could be handled, no sweat!
It's not necessary to mention the pain of losing my dad in September. That's a trial faced by everyone at some point in life. Timing is never our own.
The past three weeks have presented the latest flood of discomforts. An infected tooth (I'll leave out the details) and a root canal were pretty painful, to put it mildly. Tylenol just doesn't cut it sometimes. I've had a cold that started teasing me 10 days ago but reared its ugly head last night. I've been at home all day so miserable, trying to push through it with chicken broth, warm salt water and a phone call to the doctor with prayers of medicinal relief. Michael is at the store buying Tylenol Cold right now, bless his heart. I went to see my doctor yesterday for my glucose test and was told that I "failed." Ouch! My hemoglobin levels were great, but my glucose was 185 and should not be over 140. I now have the pleasure of visiting the lab (getting tired of that place, they always steal my blood) for the 3 hour Glucose Tolerance Test. Hopefully I'll get a bit of good news at the conclusion of that ordeal.
Throw in a little heartburn and some round ligament pains and you've got one uncomfortable pregnant girl!
I can whine with the best of them, but don't be fooled - I'm no Debbie Downer. I don't do the "WHY ME?!" thing. I feel too happy, too excited, too blessed to be anything but positive. I feel like all of this is worth it if I can grow a healthy little girl. And healthy she is. She still kicks, rolls, dances, somersaults and wiggles in my belly on a daily basis. I can count on it every morning and every night when I'm least active. If feeling the movement of your unborn baby doesn't put a smile on your face, nothing will.
I'm all too aware that no matter how bad things may seem, it could be worse and someone ALWAYS has it worse. Much, much worse. I first saw this quote years ago, but I think of it more often than any other: "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." I don't know who said it, but it is too true.
It Is Well With My Soul
Horatio G. Spafford
When peace like a river, Attendeth my way,
When sorrows, Like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
"It is well, it is well, with my soul."
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, It is well, with my soul.
My sin, O the bliss Of this glorious tho't,
My sin not in part But the whole
Is nailed to the cross And I bear it no more.
Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord, O my soul!
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, It is well, with my soul.
O, Lord haste the day When my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back As a scroll;
The trump shall resound And the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well With my soul.
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, It is well, with my soul.
Horatio Spafford wrote this song in 1873 after he had suffered from many losses. He lost a fortune in real estate in the Chicago fire of 1871 and around the same time lost his only son (age 4) to scarlet fever. He decided to vacation to Europe (and to go visit D. L. Moody) with his wife and four daughters. He was detained in New York but decided to send his family on ahead. During the trip, their ship collided with another vessel and sank within two hours. He received a telegram from his wife saying, "Saved. Alone." He had lost all four of his daughters. On the trip to join his wife he said to himself, "It is well; the will of God be done." He later wrote this famous hymn.
Wow. I appreciate that story. I'm amazed at what I've found in the land of blogs. It started with one, a blog by a mommy living in Who Knows Where, USA giving great advice and reviewing baby products for people like me who are craving information. One blog links to another, to another. I now have a Favorites file full of bookmarked blogs to check in these last few months of down time.
I'm blowing my nose and sipping on hot chicken broth while I wait for my knight in shining armor to bring me sweet relief, but have no doubt that "It is well with my soul."

1 comment:
Wow...what an amazing story you have, my dear. It is well with my soul was my Nana's favorite hymn and has therefore been a favorite of mine ever since. The story behind the author when he wrote it has made it have even greater meaning. Thanks for sharing. I love you!
Post a Comment